Team Young Logistics
Team Truck Backers
Volvo Trucks Hackathon jury with Alexander De Croo
Volvo Trucks Hackathon Challenge
Volvo Trucks organized a Hackathon Challenge
17-18 feb 2017
The Volvo Group is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines. We also provide complete solutions for financing and service. It is our vision to become the world leader in sustainable transport solutions - together we are shaping another future!
Volvo Trucks is market leader in Belgium in the heavy haulage segment. We are continuously driving progress and offer top notch innovations to our customers, both in products and in services. Everything is based upon our 3 core values: quality, safety and care for the environment.
Volvo Trucks Hackathon Challenge
We have organized a hackathon challenge that students, alumni, startups or any developer could attend.
11 teams combining more than 50 participants devised creative digital solutions that help transport companies in carrying out their daily tasks. The jury, with o.a. Alexander De Croo, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Digital Agenda unanimously chose team RouVolvo and their Dynamic Real-time route planning tool.
1st price: RouVolvo
The winning idea was developed by team RouVolvo, a team of five students. The team developed a dynamic planning tool that proposes changes to the truck’s schedule according to real-time data and which immediately shows the cost effects. RouVolvo managed to combine data from API sources like DynaFleet (truck locations, driver service time, truck communications, etc.), HERE (Real-time traffic, accidents data, map, Toll segments) and WAZE (Traffic incidents).
2nd prize : Team Young Logistics
They developped a strong technical planning calculation tool, combining a clear dynamic route model and a static cost model.
3rd price: Team Truck Backers
They developped a tool to reduce costs based on dangerous driver behavior, cargo damage, loss and theft.
The teams could create real working connected solutions. They were able to work with real and never before available truck data. And by doing so, they could help creating a real solution for transport issues.
We thought that if the teams could develop a reliable solution that helps transport companies to understand and decrease their cost for transporting from point A to B, we could motivate them to organize their transport flows in a different way.
Maybe it would be better for them to drive at different times?
Maybe they could avoid schools and city centers in rush hours by driving on a different road with less stop and go, and thereby save fuel?
If they would know the cost of road tax in advance, they could choose to drive on a different road? Or maybe choose the toll road because at the end it would be cheaper?
Could we take traffic data into account and find solutions for less congestive and safer roads?
Do we have other possibilities for last mile transport?
Could you add safety as a goal of your solution?
Does IoT has some solutions?
Could we find solutions to make transport in the Port of Antwerp more efficient?
Could we develop a model that gives transporters both a better view on their costs and innovative connected possibilities to decrease their transport costs?
Our Volvo trucks provide useful data, that we expose today in our telematics solution “Dynafleet” But we are convinced that the data could also be useful in other applications, and that is why we have given the opportunity in this hackathon to develop a “Route Cost Calculator” including the data provided by “Dynafleet”. The tool the teams have developped, if successful, would definitely help transport companies to get a better understanding and overview of their daily cost.
Next was also a challenge for the teams to find new possibilities to decrease the daily transport costs for these companies.
The Dynafleet real time vehicle and driver data needed to be used in the team's application. They could find the API documentation under the ‘Data Providers’ header. The data could be enriched by more available datasets. Off course the teams were free to use other data.
To award the best ideas, the following criteria have been considered. Every team had 6 min time to convince our jury with their ideas.
The jury has focussed on ‘Proof of concept’:
- Innovation: How innovative/creative is your solution?
- Feasibility: Is it possible to bring your idea to the market / to build the application in real.
- End user value: In which way will your idea benefit the end user?
- 2 day trip to Volvo Trucks HQ in Gothenburg, Sweden, where the winning team discovers the heart and soul of Volvo, meets interesting people and has fun
- Start It @ KBC incubation
- Our expertise to build a better solution
During the closing ceremony, each team has presented its proposal on the last day at 16:00 in max 6 minutes. A professional national - international jury has judged the best ideas and announced the 3 winners at 17:45.
- Alexander De Croo - Federal Vice prime-minister and Minister of digital agenda - Open VLD
- David Hanngren - Investment Manager – Volvo Trucks Venture Capital
- Philippe Jacquemyns - Product Manager trucks - Volvo Trucks BELUX
- Patrik Naenen – Manager of transport – Katoen Natie
- Johan Rundberg - Product Manager Dynafleet - Volvo Trucks HQ
- Lode Uytterschaut - Founder Start it @ KBC - Start it @ KBC
- Lode Verkinderen - Secretaris Generaal – Transport & Logistiek Vlaanderen
- Multidisciplinary Teams, e.g. an engineer, developer, economist, ITS specialist, transportation specialist, …
- You could join as individual or as a team (Min 18 years –…)
- Date: 17-18 February 2017
- 32 hours: start Friday 17/2/2017 at 10:00 - end Saturday 18/2/2017 at 18:00
- Based on data from API Volvo Trucks and other available datasets.
- Location: KBC, Boerentoren, Schoenmarkt 35, 2000 Antwerp
Easily accessible by public transport or car
- Hosted by KBC StartIt
- Volvo Trucks, Download the Dynafleet API documentation >
- Be-Mobile, Traffic flows mapped on OpenStreetMaps >
- Google MAP's by Localyse, Download all Google Maps data during the hackathon >
- Here, Download the Here Fleet API >
- MOW, Download the Static truck parking data >
- Open Street Map, Download the Open street data >
- PTV Group, SDK data during the event to help integrate toll cost >
- Stad Gent, Download the Mobility data - city of Gent >
- Viapass, Data will be provided at the event >
- Vlaamse overheid, Download the Wegenregister >
- Vlaamse overheid, Download and info Geopunt Vlaanderen webservices and datasets >
- Volvo Trucks existing Transport Information System Dynafleet >
- Download the Dynafleet existing app
- Dynafleet in iTunes
- Dynafleet in Google Play
- Link Viapass >
- Link Satellic >
If you want to know more about this hackathon event, please contact Pieter De bruyn